Build log of the building of a Bolkow BO105 helicopter
using the HeliArtist fibreglass fuselage and Interceptor 400 mechanics
Page 1

   

   Sponsored in part by...
  Thanks go to PhoneWorks, Clitheroe for hosting this web site for ChopperAddict..  PhoneWorks

   Visit the Wirelessmadness web site for all your helis and spare parts  WirelessMadness

   ChopperAddict Facebook   Visit my Facebook


   Please DONATE to help me maintain this source of help for all RC helicopter pilots
  to help me to help others

Click here to visit the H4H web site and do your part to help...  

Tag words
chopperaddict , R/C, helicopter ,
trex , interceptor , int400 , blade 400 ,
training , repairs , setups , sales ,
information , tips & tricks , help
custom builds , scale builds ,
spare parts , tutorials , info ,
align , t-rex , kds , copterx ,
copter-x , alien command ,
Helicommand , Flymentor ,
auto pilot systems , radio setup ,
kit  building , Upgrades ,
hover training , setup training ,
Flight training , Phoenix training ,
HeliArtist , painting , detailing ,

 


PLEASE PRESS F5 TO REFRESH THESE PAGES TO ENSURE YOU GET THE LATEST INFORMATION
(This is due to a bug in Internet Explorer that does not refresh changed pages correctly)

Pages :- 1 2 3 4 5

NEXT PAGE    

                  
   

         The real thing in all it's glory

The HeliArtist 3 piece BO105 fuselage as received, but with the skids just fitted

I have been using the BO105 model as a training aircraft when teaching other heli pilots to learn to hover using Phoenix, mostly because it is large and easy to identify it's attitude at a distance.

So when I saw a deal from a US supplier recently for the Heliartist BO105 fuselage complete with angled tail drive mechanism etc at a bargain price, I decided to bite the bullet and build one for myself to fly.

As is usual with HeliArtist, the fuselage is a quite good fibreglass mould, ready painted in this case, and even lettered with the ADAC logo and German Registration D- HRET.  It come in 2 main parts, the main fuselage, and the nose, which comes off in the usual way, but allows pretty good access into the large interior.  They also provide scale skids that give it a nice wide footprint.

the only other part is a "shroud that wraps the mechanics of the raised tail from the back, making access to that are relatively easy as well. The basic woodwork needed to support the helicopter mechanics are already glued into place, although I took the precaution of adding some hot glue to them to ensure they will never move.

The raised tail mechanics came already built up, with a special extended length drive belt already fitted into it.

In the images above, I have already fitted my Align Trex450 tail gearbox, to test how easily it all goes together.  

The only small problem I had with this part of the build was running the rudder control  wire up to the tail control arm.  HeliArtist supply a longer control wire, threaded at both ends, which makes it quite easy to fit and adjust, but you actually have to bend the wire to the correct shape around the bottom, outside of the cranked "gearbox". 

In fact it is not a gearbox, it just contains a freewheeling toothed belt drive gear and a smooth tensioner style wheel that lets the belt run around them quite neatly.  I was fortunate in having some spare Extreme tail wire guides lying around in the workshop which you can see are holding the rudder control wire in place very neatly.  I suspect that the standard supports would NOT work very well in place of these metal Extreme units, as they can be tightened up absolutely solidly in position.

Once you get the bend in the wire correct to match the curvature needed, all that was necessary in my case was to bend the very back end of the wire slightly to get it lining up with the ball joint on the rudder control arm nice and squarely.  The control rod actually moves very nice and freely, despite the bend in the wire, and has no free play.

The only other problem I can now foresee is how I am ever going to get it to connect to the Interceptor 400 frame that I have chosen to use to power this helicopter.  Due to the raised tail, it is obvious that you cannot push it through the boom of the fuselage backwards, and although it will indeed slide down through the boom from the back quite easily, I cannot see a way to fit the boom into the frame and fit the belt over the tail driven gear and adjust it all  once working inside the fuselage.

I suspect it will come down to doing it all the other way around, removing the raised tail parts and then sliding the original boom back down from the front and adding the raised tail assembly bit by bit again.  We will see what happens when I reach that point.

    NEXT PAGE    

Pages :- 1 2 3 4 5