An AirWolf project using Esky Belt CP mechanics
(Actually it's a SeaWolf)

CHOPPERADDICT SPECIALISES IN THE BUILDING, REPAIRING & 
SETTING UP OF R/C HELICOPTERS AND RADIOS

   

   Sponsored in part by...
  Thanks go to PhoneWorks, Clitheroe for hosting this web site for ChopperAddict..  PhoneWorks

   Visit the Wirelessmadness web site for all your helis and spare parts  WirelessMadness

   ChopperAddict Facebook   Visit my Facebook


   Please DONATE to help me maintain this source of help for all RC helicopter pilots
  to help me to help others

Click here to visit the H4H web site and do your part to help...  

Tag words
chopperaddict , R/C, helicopter ,
trex , interceptor , int400 , blade 400 ,
training , repairs , setups , sales ,
information , tips & tricks , help
custom builds , scale builds ,
spare parts , tutorials , info ,
align , t-rex , kds , copterx ,
copter-x , alien command ,
Helicommand , Flymentor ,
auto pilot systems , radio setup ,
kit  building , Upgrades ,
hover training , setup training ,
Flight training , Phoenix training ,
HeliArtist , painting , detailing ,

 

This project was started quite some time ago, but still continue with plenty of modifications being made as it progresses.

The fuselage is that well known HeliArtists's fibreglass AirWolf, but without the retracts, for as you can see from the image this has floats fitted for its lake and sea duties.

It was decided to use the least powerful mechanics I had around, so it is a Belt CP V1 that is being used.

              

I started off using the stock plastic framed Belt CP to get all of the mechanics positioning correct, but have recently converted this to the full Carbon Fibre frame to reduce the overall weight.

One of the first things to note if you intend to build an AirWolf is that it is pretty tight to get most mechanics into the fuselage.  It certainly was with my Belt CP mechanics.  The other helicopters that have the servos mounted inboard of the frame sides would probably be a much better choice.

The other difficulty was getting the boom to come out of the back nice and centrally so that there is room to connect the tail assembly.  You may find that you need to trim the back end of the fuselage a little to get it to the right length, and then adjust the mounting points for the frame.

Rather than build my own mounts for the floats, I have so far used the standard skids as mounting points, although I may well build something lighter for these in the future.

I also went overboard and wired my own navigation lights into the fuselage, which was quite a task, especially the two blue strobes I have mounted on the top of the dual fins at the back. You can also see that I have added a refuelling probe on the right of the nose, together with various other radio antennae dotted around it.

All relevant vents are covered internally with small extruded aluminium coverings that look very realistic.

The floats themselves are made from expanded polystyrene that was filed/ground to shape and then covered with SolarFilm after a singe wrapping of Duct Tape for strength. You might also notice that each float has a coil of "rope" on them, to allow other vessels to more alongside, plus posts to use the ropes on.

One point that has become clear over the period is that the stock Esky motor is just not powerful to lift all this additional weight, so my SeaWolf now sports an Align 430XL motor with Castle Creations 45A ESC, and a 3000Mah 25C lipo to provide the necessary "grunt".

I use those well loved Align 335mm blades as well to gain additional lifting power.

This is the AirWolf in the early build stages, just after the final colour coat had been applied, but before lacquering had been done, and it had no glazing at this point. 

You can also just see in this image the yellow and black "NO WALK" marker strips on the top of each wing stub

You can also see that I have repainted it totally in overall blue which is a nice dark pearl blue in daylight.

Why you may ask did I choose to have it as a SeaWolf ?

Well, having spent 9 years in Florida, USA, I saw many such helis (not AirWolf's admittedly) that were floats based as obviously Florida has huge amounts of open water with both the sea, the inland lakes and of course the mangrove swamps (and yes, they are full of Alligators), so a floats based model seemed a natural choice.  My story is that it is for use in anti smuggling duties around the Caribbean and off the south coast of Florida and around Miami, so it absolutely HAD to have floats to operate successfully in that environment.  It will also sure make those smugglers jump when they find that overhead their powerboats, weapons at the ready pointing at the waterline of their boat.  

So here comes the build, which took over three months in total due to my commitments with the heli-hospital and other stuff.

 

STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION...