A long term recovery of an old .60 size 
nitro powered Bell Long Ranger

PAGE - 1



   Sponsored in part by...
  Thanks go to PhoneWorks, Clitheroe for hosting this web site for ChopperAddict..  PhoneWorks

   Visit the Wirelessmadness web site for all your helis and spare parts  WirelessMadness

   ChopperAddict Facebook   Visit my Facebook

   Please DONATE to help me maintain this source of help for all RC helicopter pilots
  to help me to help others

Click here to visit the H4H web site and do your part to help...  

Tag words
chopperaddict , R/C, helicopter ,
trex , interceptor , int400 , blade 400 ,
training , repairs , setups , sales ,
information , tips & tricks , help
custom builds , scale builds ,
spare parts , tutorials , info ,
align , t-rex , kds , copterx ,
copter-x , alien command ,
Helicommand , Flymentor ,
auto pilot systems , radio setup ,
kit  building , Upgrades ,
hover training , setup training ,
Flight training , Phoenix training ,
HeliArtist , painting , detailing ,



Pages :- 1 2 3 4 5 6  

    NEXT PAGE    

This Project is again rather to different to many others I get involved in, because this helicopter has actually been owned by me for about 18 years, but it is now in pretty terrible condition, having been carted over to the USA with me and remained in a storage box for 10 years over there, and then brought back to the UK in 2008

It's history is that it got into it's current state all by itself, as when I was last flying it, about 18 years ago, it had Schluter .60 mechanics in it, and used an old JR radio.  The real problem was the fact that it was using 35MHz, but rather stupidly, I had decided to route the tail drive piano wire down a lovely piece of brass tubing that I happened to have lying around.

Now to those of you that understand these thing, a piece of piano wire rotating inside a piece of brass tube at high RPM will cause LOTS OF RADIO INTEFERENCE....

It was back in my early days, so I really did not not know better, so I used to ignore the fact that when on the ground with the radio on and the motor fired up, all of the servos used to "chatter" to themselves.  It always seemed fine once it was in the air, so I just put up with it.

Anyway, to cut a very long tale short, one day I had her up on a field close to my house, flew her for one tank full, all was great. It was a lovely flying day, so after a cigarette break,  I tanked her up again, restarted the motor and went to take off.

That was the last command she ever got from me.....

In hindsight, and after the post mortem, the flight pack battery was not fully charged as I had thought, and that, coupled with inteference from the tail drive wire, meant that just after take off, she decided to go to full throttle, full pitch, and TOTALLY IGNORE ALL MY RADIO COMMANDS.

She climbed up to around 150 feet, rolled on her back, and plummetted back to earth, nose first.  Luckily, the motor cut out on impact, but the entire removable front section of the (then) very pretty fuselage was a pile of fibreglass shards all over the surrounding area.  The head had some damage, but not too bad really, and there was some damage to the top part of the main fuselage as well, but all this damage was/is repairable, as can be seen form the picture below in the early stages of the repair.

IMPORTANT - If anyone out there reading this has a complete .60 size long ranger nose section that matches the dimensions (all are fairly approx) I would really love to know about it. I will either buy it from you, or if you will allow me to, will borrow it and make my own mould of it ?

Making a new one up from scratch is not going to be something I really fancy trying to do,.

This is, of course, what the Bell 206 should look like.....

Above inside the red rectangle is the bit I am trying to replace that is totally missing.......

Pages :- 1 2 3 4 5 6